Monday, March 17, 2014

Bars and Stripes #3 - Red, White and Blue Stripy Wall Hanging

This is my latest wall hanging, entirely hand sewn, and incorporating repurposed textiles. It is inspired by the work of the Gees Bend quilters of America.


 The piece is cut, pieced, layered with batting and a backing fabric, then hand quilted. It then has a hanging sleeve and label added to the reverse before the whole item is tea dyed to give it an 'aged' and wrinkled appearance.



This wall hanging is available from my Fire Horse Textiles shop, priced at £125 + shipping.

2 comments:

Cait Throop said...

I saw the Gees Bend quilts when they were in Boston...very moving and beautiful! I love how you incorporated these same qualities!!!

Julia K Walton - Fire Horse Textiles said...

Hi Cait - I would have loved to have seen that exhibition. I have a wonderful book which talks about the lives and work of the Gees Bend women, but it is not the same as seeing the work in front of you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...